Further safeguarding resources
UK Safer Internet Centre – Parents and Carers
Detailed support to help parents set up parental controls with advice, guidance and further resources.
Interactive support to help you keep up-to-date with technology and how to keep children safe online. Created by Childnet International
Advice and guidance if your child is being bullied or worried about other issues and wants to talk it over with another young person. They also have a section for parents and carers.
A comprehensive guide to the social networks children use. They support parents and carers to keep up to date with the digital world.
Below is a list of videos with commentary to help explore e-safety issues:
- Caught in the web – Lonely Princess – A Newsround special about staying safe online. Tells the story of a girl called Lonely Princess, who gets into danger after a meeting in a chatroom. Contains tips on how to stay safe, and case studies of children with real-life experiences of how things can go wrong.
- Caught in the web – Online Bullying – Shows how using someone’s mobile phone, which contains their passwords, people can get hold of details and use them to send messages.
- Block Bullying Online – Newsround cyberbullying video. Shows how name calling can affect someone and how they can report it.
- Consequences – Regarding a young man becoming an online abuser by befriending a girl and following her and asking her for photos. Focuses on reporting problems.
- Where’s Klaus? – A clip developed to encourage parents to make the internet secure for their children, so that they can enjoy using it.
Support and guidance for parents from leading experts and organisations; covers topics such as gaming, relationships and wellbeing.
If you are experiencing online bullying or something else online has worried you please speak to an adult you trust, or you can talk to Childline at any time on 0800 1111 or at www.childline.org.uk.